Tuesday, October 30, 2007

my response to section one of wide sargasso sea

I began the novel somewhat prejudiced as I was unsure of the theory that one may take a hundred and sixty year old year old classic literature and further develop a character without the author's consent or knowledge. I wondered whether it was indeed original or not. After having read the first section, my feelings toward Antoinette had changed my opinion of Bertha mason as she is so name in Jane Eyre. I was more sympathetic toward her. I began to feel that it was not her fault that se was so deranged and demonic in Jane Eyre.

The language and literary devices used in section one of Wide Sargasso Sea immediately portrayed that this was an unusual book. The descriptive quality of the writing paints a vivid picture. Which makes it easier to visualise the goings on. I both appreciate this characteristic of the book and do not appreciate it. Although it is easier to construct an image in one's head, it feels as if all the work is done for you. It also means that the writing is filled with much description but little action. This very issue made it quite difficult to continue on at first. Once the book is in full swing and one is involved with the characters then it becomes a more interesting read.

The characters all seemed to me to have some sort of abnormality to them. The public hatred toward the family and their isolated lifestyle is never fully explained. Annette is odd and I found her maternal leanings somewhat absent. The only encouragement I received on this note was when she ran back into the house to retrieve Pierre, who later dies. Christophene is also a strange and abnormal character. She is feared and her background is unknown. Much is unknown in the book. The servants' revolt was due to what? Tia's strange behaviour toward her so-called friend was because of what? Why are they hated and judged?

I found the book to be somewhat depressing. Antoinette's rejection from her mother, from Tia, and from her stepfather. Her loneliness from her isolation to the death of Pierre and Annette. However, I was comforted at the end of the section after she was in a safe caring environment.

3 comments:

Donald said...

The very fact that Rhys has provoked so many questions in you makes the point that this is well written. You are being invited to work alongside (and outside) the narrative. Isn't this exciting? Aren't the ex-slaves getting their revenge?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the vivid descriptions make it easier to visualise what's going on and then say you like it and dislike it. Can you clarify?

I look forward to your assessment of the whole novel.

DANtheMAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DANtheMAN said...

I think it's good to have someone who disagrees with the existence of the novel; I reckon that because you feel that way about the novel, you are going to put the book through perhaps more rigerous scrutiny and evaluation. That said, does the book harm Jane Eyre? Or what Charlotte bronte was trying to say and show? and i like how, as you mentioned, the characters are all in some way abnormal, i think it adds another dimension to them, one that allows for further discovery and development as the novel progresses
:)